The home of the Columbia County Sheriff's Office lies within the Columbia County Courthouse; the oldest operating courthouse in the State of Washington. Built in 1887, its historic architectural heritage has been preserved through a determined restoration effort.
On the ground floor are the Columbia County Public Safety Communications Center and the Sheriff's Office. The jail facilities are an old ship's brig that was placed on the foundation and the courthouse was built around it. The restoration included as much of the original building as possible. The front and back steps are original and were cast at the Walla Walla Iron Works.
The second floor contains the offices of the Auditor, Treasurer, Assessor and Superior Court Clerk. There are many authentic photographs on the walls.
The third floor contains the District and Municipal Court, the County Commissioner's Office and one of the most extraordinary courtrooms to be found. Court is usually held two or three times a week. Restoration of the courtroom included the return to the original configuration of the courtroom, complete with balconies, cover ceilings and Italian chandeliers. The balconies however are closed for public use. The clock, judge's bench, jury chairs and benches are all original.
In 1915, two Confederate civil war mountain howitzers arrived from the United States War Department and were placed on display in the front courtyard on either side of the walkway.
The Columbia County Courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Is it a burn day today? Click HERE to find out!
Or call Call 1-800-406-5322
EPA smoke complaint line 1-866-211-6284
Fingerprinting days and times and jail visitation times can be found HERE.
This website was last updated on 05-23-13